Mike Zlotnik, Fund Manager, Tempo Opportunity Fund elaborates on his role as a real estate fund manager and reveals how he analyzes deals to scout out some of the most lucrative opportunities that can generate maximum ROI for his investors.
In this show, Mike first explains the functioning of a real estate fund in simplistic terms. Are you planning on eventually starting your own real estate fund? Mike some great suggestions for you. Mike also reveals his systematic approach to analyzing a real estate deal. How did Mike structure a recent deep value add 700-unit deal? And, why did Mike invest in this deal in spite of massive rehab costs? What kind of returns is Mike expecting from his deal?
Other topics discussed include exit strategy, finding the right real estate partners, the various challenges of managing a real estate fund and much, much more!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:29 – Whitney introduces Mike to listeners
- 01:05 – How did Mike transition to real estate?
- 02:10 – Mike explains the functioning of a real estate fund in simplistic terms
- 03:45 – What is the role of a real estate fund manager?
- 05:45 – How can a real estate sponsor get in touch with a fund manager like Mike?
- 08:22 – Mike explains how he analyzes a real estate deal
- 08:43 – How to analyze real estate deals in the retail space
- 11:28 – How can a real estate fund manager accurately vet a sponsor? Mike reveals how he protects the interests of his investors
- 13:20 – Mike reveals some interesting details about a high value-add, 700 unit multi-family property with 75% equity and 24% pref
- 15:31 – Mike gives us a “peek” into the extensive rehab efforts for his current property
- 19:09 – Is the role of a real estate fund manager largely passive in nature?
- 20:56 – Mike prefers to have a well-thought-of exit strategy in place
- 21:51 – Mike reveals his investment criteria
- 23:47 – Importance of partnering with knowledgeable and experienced people
- 24:50 – What advice does Mike have for folks looking to start their own real estate fund?
- 25:34 – What is the most challenging aspect of being a fund manager?
- 26:29 – Should you automate your communications with investors?
- 27:33 – Which CRM does Mike use to manage his business?
- 28:07 – Mike reveals some philosophies which have helped him improve his business
- 30:04 – What is the number one thing that has contributed to your success?
- 30:46 – How does Mike give back to society?
- 31:50 – Can you get your real estate project funded through Mike’s organization?
- 33:00 – Mike shares his contact information
- 35:22 – Schedule a call with Whitney now
- [spp-timestamp time=”35:37″] – A Special Thanks to our sponsor, LifeBridge Capital
In this episode, you will learn
- The role of a real estate fund manager
- How to analyze and structure a deep value add deal
- What are the challenges of managing a real estate fund?
- Real Estate Syndication Podcast
- Life Bridge Capital
- Tempo Opportunity Fund, LLC
- Mike’s Email
- Big Mike Fund
- Real Estate Investment Fund: How to Chose a SMART Real Estate Investing Fund: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes To Avoid Before Investing Into a Real Estate Fund (Private Money, REITS, Equity, Structure, Tax)