Listen to the podcast here:
In this episode, Whitney interviews Nikolai Ray, CEO of MREX, a pioneering tech startup. Nikolai, a leading expert in multifamily financial engineering is often called upon as a professor, advisor, and keynote speaker. Nikolai reveals how syndicators can leverage technology to make data-driven decisions that result in the greatest value add for them and their investors.
How did Nikolai end up selling his shares in his $100 million ATV investment banking business to move on to a startup? How can you accurately analyze micro and macro-economic indicators to make the right investment decisions? You will learn some great Tips for hedging risk and optimizing returns in this show. Tune in now!
Our Gracious Sponsors:
Make sure to be at Joe Fairless’s Best Ever Conference, February 22-23, 2019. Use code: #WHITNEY for 10% OFF!!!
Phoenix Syndication Workshop 2019 is a premier 2-day educational and networking event hosted by noted real estate investors Ben Leybovich and Sam Grooms January 26 – 27, 2019.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:20 – Whitney introduces Nikolai Ray to listeners
- 01:07 – How did Nikolai transition to real estate investing?
- 03:51 – Nikolai shares how his business catering to hockey players grew to 75 employees in two and a half years
- 04:36 – Nikolai’s background in mathematics helps him accurately underwrite real estate properties
- 06:06 – Nikolai sells his sports agency to start a real estate business
- 06:24 – How did Nikolai end up selling shares in his $100 million ATV investment banking business to move on to a startup?
- 06:47 – What is the focus of MREX – Multi-Family Real Estate Exchange, Nikolai current business founded in 2016?
- 08:22 – How did Nikolai gain the confidence from passive investing to real estate syndication?
- 11:10 – What is the best way to educate yourself in order to learn more about the syndication business?
- 12:46 – Nikolai shares some information about his company’s forthcoming events
- 14:16 – Which courses are offered by MREX college?
- 16:20 – Learn how the online marketplace at MREX allows syndicators to make better-investing decisions
- [spp-timestamp time=”18:30″] – Joe Fairless’s 2019 Best Ever Conference is coming up in Denver this February
- 19:26 – Nikolai shares his current investment strategy
- 20:02 – Discussing the need to consider macro and microeconomic factors while analyzing a deal
- 20:51 – As a syndicator, do you need to go after riskier value add properties?
- 21:44 – Should you invest in real estate markets with compressed cap rates?
- 24:29 – Active portfolio management is necessary for hedging risk
- 26:06 – Tips for inexperienced investors who wish to transition to syndication
- 27:03 – What is the best way to build trust with your investors? We discuss the importance of under promising and over delivering
- 28:20 – What is the #1 thing that Nikolai is doing to improve his business?
- 30:35 – Nikolai shares his contact information
- [spp-timestamp time=”31:37″] – Share, Review and Subscribe to the Real Estate Syndication Show
- 31:52 – Do not miss out on your chance to be a part of the Phoenix Syndication Workshop
- [spp-timestamp time=”33:00″] – A Special Thanks to our Sponsor, Life Bridge Capital
In this episode, you will learn
- How to leverage technology for making data-driven decisions in real estate syndication
- Expert Tips for scaling up and growing your business
- How to hedge risk and invest in real estate syndication