Real estate provides opportunities even to those who are living overseas. This was proven by Michael Barnhart and Suzy Sevier, founders of Adventurous Real Estate Investors, who are both based in the United Kingdom. Today, we speak to Michael and Suzy and they detail how they were able to successfully seal their first deal while living overseas.
Our gracious sponsor:
A Cost Segregation Study typically generates accelerated depreciation deductions ranging from 15% – 45%; Whether Commercial Real Estate was acquired, built-new, or renovated over the past 15-years, a Cost Segregation Study can still be performed…and there’s no amending of past tax-returns required; All Cost Segregation Providers are NOT created equal…if your Provider does NOT have a Certified Cost Segregation Professional (CCSP) on-staff, then you’re at higher risk of a failed IRS audit; There are ONLY (43) Certified Cost Segregation Professionals (CCSPs) in the entire United States…(8) CCSPs are employed by Bedford. Visit www.bedfordteam.com
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Michael and Suzy share that they found the opportunity in real estate when the Covid-19 pandemic hit last year. Since then, they have done everything online. Michael and Suzy also talk about the challenges of investing in real estate while living abroad and how they overcame those. They say it is through time blocking, due diligence, and discipline. The two also say having the right mentor helps them a lot. Listen now and learn how investing in real estate while overseas is possible!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Michael and Suzy talk about their first deal – how did they find it?
- How the Covid-19 pandemic created an opportunity for Michael and Suzy to start investing in real estate?
- Michael and Suzy elaborate on the things they did to be able to seal their first real estate deal while overseas.
- Michael and Suzy’s tips on how to be successful in time blocking – be disciplined with your time, allocate the correct amount of time that is needed and figuring out you’re your green zone is.
- The biggest thing that had to happen when Michael and Suzy are sealing their first deal – finding a mentor.
- When do you know that you found the right mentor fit for you?
- Michael and Suzy share the challenges they face while doing their first deal.
- Michael and Suzy detail the business plan they have when they are closing their first deal.
- How did Michael and Suzy raise the money for their first deal?
- Michael and Suzy share how they generated 600 calls in four months to raise money for their first deal.
- The things that helped Michael and Suzy nurture their relationships with investors.
- What would Michael and Suzy have done differently knowing what they know now?
- How do Michael and Suzy prepare for a downturn?
- Michael and Suzy’s predictions in the real estate market over the next six to twelve months.
- The daily habits that helped Michael and Suzy achieve success.
- Michael and Suzy’s best source for meeting new investors right now.
- The number one thing that contributed to Michael and Suzy’s success.
- How do Michael and Suzy like to give back?
- How did Michael and Suzy find the meet-up they are attending?
“I think the biggest thing is, you just have to be disciplined with your time. Like your time is the most valuable resource and people tend to waste that more than anything.” [0:06:13]
“Give yourself the correct amount of time that is needed.” [0:06:39]
“Another thing is figuring out when your green zone is. And what I mean by that is like when you are at the peak of your creativity, so if that’s in the morning, then I would try to time block some of your most prioritized times in the morning.” [0:07:03]
“The driver behind our success was probably finding a mentor that was in the specific market in the specific submarkets that we were looking at, and he had assets in that area.” [0:08:13]
“If you don’t see yourself, and your mentor shares in the next X number of years, then that’s not the right mentor for you.” [0:09:33]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Michael Barnhart and Suzy Sevier
Suzy and Michael are the Founders of Adventurous Real Estate Investors. Suzy is head of investor relations and marketing while Michael is head of acquisitions. Together they specialize in strategically targeting core-plus and value-add commercial multi-family real estate investment opportunities to offer lucrative returns to their investors through the implementation of a business model that provides value to both residents and the local community. Their most recent acquisition was a value-add 88-unit apartment community in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
In addition to real estate investing, Michael is a Ph.D. student in biochemistry at the University of Cambridge, located in the United Kingdom. Michael has over 15 years of military experience and is a professionally trained and certified Program Manager. He has overseen the successful acquisition, implementation, and disposition of over $100M in defense systems.
Suzy currently works as a program manager and supply chain coordinator for a global biotechnology company that is located in Cambridge, England. Suzy’s strong financial background and business and marketing experience bring massive value to Adventurous Real Estate Investors.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: