Connecting to people is one way to grow your business in multifamily syndication. And one way to do that is through an effective marketing campaign. Nowadays, there is a lot of technology we can tap to automate the way we market our business.
Our gracious sponsor:
Wondering how to build trust between you and your investors? The InvestNext Investor Portal houses everything you need to raise capital online, deliver professional reporting, process distributions, and more. When booking a demo at https://www.investnext.com/ enter promo code “Whitney” for 15% off your first 3 months.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Today, we pick the brain of Megan Lamke, a real estate entrepreneur, impact investor, podcast host, and author. She shares specific software they use to help them grow their business. Megan emphasizes the importance of figuring out which is your big differentiator and telling that story to your prospective investors. Megan also talks about how they train and maximize the potential of their Virtual Assistants. Finally, Megan elaborates how they do impact investing by helping non-profit organizations that are helping children in Southeast Asia from human trafficking. This is a fruitful conversation so tune in now!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Megan shares how she was able to convince her tenants to help her implement the Buy, Renovate, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat (BRRRR) strategy when she started in real estate.
- Megan details how she is doing impact investing and helping children in Southeast Asia through venture.org.
- What is a donor-advised fund?
- Megan details what is marketing automation and how it helps in capital raising.
- The big differentiator for Megan’s business – impact investing in a business for good.
- How Megan tells the story of their biggest differentiator to investors.
- Megan shares how she gets in front of investors.
- Megan shares the software that she uses in marketing automation – Active Campaign, Calenly, Zapier, Zoom, Loom, and Investor Deal Room.
- Megan gives tips on how to learn the right systems to use for marketing automation.
- Megan shares how they use Virtual Assistants for capital raising.
- Training VAs to talk to prospective investors; VAs undergoing training through Closers Media – a sales education platform.
- Megan talks about the licensing that you can do to become a licensed securities representative.
- What’s the feedback of Megan’s investors about talking to their VAs?
- What are the few things one needs to think through to minimize the overload of automating the marketing side of the business?
- The daily habits that help Megan to achieve success.
- Megan’s best source for meeting new investors – attending a charity gala.
- How does Megan get involved in the charity gala – volunteering and find local organizations that you care about.
- The number one thing that contributed to Megan’s success.
- How does Megan like to give back?
“In every syndication, we take a portion of the income that we earn and hit our checkbook and put it in a donor-advised fund. And then that money can be given towards nonprofit organizations throughout the years. So, one of the nonprofit organizations that we work with is venture.org, and they rescue children in Southeast Asia [0:04:33]
“So, marketing automation for people that don’t know, it’s all of the systems and processes and customer journey that happens behind the scenes. So, all of the nudges that you’re encouraging your prospects and customers to engage with your brand as you’re raising capital” [0:07:01]
“In the industry, you want to find out whatever your big differentiator is. So, for us, its impact investing in a business for good.” [0:08:25]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Megan Lamke
Megan started in the real estate industry working for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage in 2008. Despite the huge recession and housing crisis, Megan achieved the coveted President’s Club award 8 months after her sales closed. While at Wells Fargo Megan built a network of real estate investors and learned some best practices for real estate investing during a recession. While working full-time Megan began house hacking her primary residence while also convincing her tenants to help her implement the Buy, Renovate, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat (BRRRR) strategy. Megan, and her husband Darik, were gazelle intense about getting out of debt so they worked overtime, had 3-4 side hustles, and were able to pay off $535,000 of personal debt, including their mortgage and $188,000 in student loans in under 5 years. One of Megan’s side hustles was using her sales and marketing skills to rapidly grow a local property management company which required Megan to get her real estate license. Megan and Darik realized that by BRRRR, house hacking their home had doubled in value and that becoming debt-free they had the opportunity to sell their primary residence and use the profits to passively invest in multifamily syndications to replace Megan’s corporate salary. So, they sold their home, started passively investing in multifamily syndications throughout the United States.
Megan was able to resign from all of her side hustles and corporate job to pursue real estate syndicating full time. Today, Megan (35) & Darik (37) have a rapidly growing portfolio of over 2,225 units valued at over $461 million. They both work from home and have the time freedom and financial freedom to spend quality time with their 3-year-old daughter. Their favorite part of their business is the difference they can make in the lives of people, on the planet, and for purposes, they care about. When they are not on a mission to impact 1,000,000 investors or rescue 1,000,000 children from sex trafficking in SE Asia, the Lamkes love sailing, playing rugby, visiting national parks, and volunteering at church.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: