Dave Van Horn, President & CEO, Note Horn Co. reveals some little known facts about the note investing business and shares the pros & cons of note investing over other asset classes.
This show starts off with Dave recalling the state of the real estate market in the ’80s and ’90s. Drawing from his extensive experience, Dave shares various reasons that can cause a deal to go under. What important LESSONS has Dave learned from these setbacks?
Next, we discuss how the note investing business is different from other asset classes, and particularly multifamily syndication. You will learn the pros & cons of the note investing or the distressed debt business. We also reveal the importance of portfolio diversification for risk mitigation in real estate investing.
Tune in for some excellent insights!
Our Gracious Sponsor:
See The Real Estate CPA’s Special Virtual Workshop for the listeners of The Real Estate Syndication Show on How to Answer Tax Related Questions from Your Investors! http://bit.ly/TheRealEstateCPA-Syndication
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:29 – Whitney introduces Dave to listeners
- 01:11 – The Mid–Atlantic Summit is filling up fast. Book now!
- 02:16 – How did Dave venture into real estate syndication?
- 03:38 – Dave shares how he helped raise capital for developers and investors in the initial stages of his career
- 04:40 – How did Dave and his partner form PPR Note Company?
- 05:46 – Dave reveals how he used to network back in the ’80s and ’90s
- 07:28 – Dave shares how differences among partners can cause a deal to go under
- 09:02 – Why dos Dave prefer investing in a deal where the partners are putting in their own capital?
- 09:22 – Dave shares how a past land development project failed due to poor macroeconomic conditions
- 12:00 – Tips for communicating with investors in a real estate syndication
- 13:21 – How is the distressed debt business different from other asset classes?
- 14:22 – Which asset class does Dave prefer to invest in?
- 15:02 – Dave shares some interesting details about this investment group, Strategic Investor Alliance
- 15:28 – Is it advisable to diversify your real estate portfolio?
- 16:11 – How does Dave educate himself about different asset classes?
- 16:34 – Advantages and disadvantages of an alternative notes fund over multifamily syndication
- 17:57 – Get your tax queries answered the Real Estate CPA!
- 19:25 – Dave’s advice for inexperienced investors who wish to transition to syndication
- 21:32 – How to select a suitable market for syndicating your next deal
- 23:30 – Importance of constantly evolving your business strategy
- 24:05 – What is one way via which Dave has improved his business?
- 25:31 – What is the number one thing that has contributed to Dave’s success?
- 27:18 – Dave shares that he is constantly looking for good deals to invest in
- 29:05 – How does Dave give back to society?
- 30:13 – Dave shares his contact information
- 31:22 – Schedule a call with Whitney now!
- 31:34 – A Special Thanks to our sponsor, Life Bridge Capital
In this episode, you will learn
- Reasons that can cause a real estate syndication deal to go under
- Notes Fund vs. Multifamily syndication – understanding the pros & cons
- How diversification allows you to mitigate risk in real estate