Today on the show we welcome CEO and Founder of Freeland Ventures and Strategic Real Estate Coach, Josh Cantwell. With his decade-long background as a Financial Advisor, Josh took his knowledge of raising capital and the financial markets and started investing in real estate full-time in 2004. Since founding his own companies in 2007, Josh has been involved in 700+ wholesale, rehab, rental, foreclosure, pre-foreclosure, and short sale transactions, and has taught thousands of investors how to replicate his success.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Josh has vast knowledge and experience in helping to coach clients, mentor students, and apprentice partners from across the US in finding, structuring, negotiating and closing various types of transactions for a profit. Today, he has bought and sold over 700 properties in 25 states, and currently holds a robust portfolio of over 2,200 cash-flowing apartments! In this episode, we hear Josh’s fascinating journey into real estate and how his cancer diagnosis pushed him from transactional real estate into long-term legacy. Josh encourages us to step out of our comfort zone, follow our passions, and re-evaluate our goals in order to find our niche in the world of real estate today. In addition, Josh gives us some practical tips and wise advice for getting into syndication, multifamily, and running a business that starts with how you choose to get up in the morning.
Key Points from This Episode:
- Learn more about Josh’s introduction to real estate from his financial advisory background.
- How Josh’s cancer diagnosis pushed him from transactional real estate into long-term legacy.
- The questions that Josh’s surgery forced him to ask and how he applied this to his business.
- Why the time to re-evaluate your passions, your goals, and your why is right this second.
- Find out what made Josh transition into the apartment space and start a joint venture.
- Why you don’t have to be an expert at everything and how to find your real estate niche.
- Why you’ve got to be doing deals with people that you like and people who contribute.
- If you want to get into the syndication business, you need to be okay with taking a step back.
- Why the magic words you want to hear from your investors is: “What about me?”
- Understanding that the hardest thing about multifamily is that it’s a long-term game.
- Find out why your business starts with you and your personal morning routine.
[bctt tweet=”Being diagnosed with cancer forced me to get away from transactional business and think about why I really got into this thing in the first place. — @JoshCantwell” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Josh Cantwell
Josh Cantwell currently manages over $30,000,000 in private money, which is deployed into real estate. He owns 2,208 units of apartments and manages a real estate private equity fund where he and his team fund hundreds of fix and flips, rentals, small balance commercial deals under $5M and value-add apartments for clients, students and borrowers. Josh is a true entrepreneur and prides himself on never having had a boss in his entire adult life. A native of Northeast Ohio, Josh attended Baldwin Wallace College and graduated in 1998. He worked as a Financial Advisor from 1997-2004, and obtained his Series 6, 63, 66 and life and health insurance licenses. In 2004, Josh took his knowledge of raising capital and the financial markets and started investing in real estate full time. He was able to combine his knowledge of financial investing with real estate to create a very successful business, which quickly grew into closing over 100+ wholesale and short sale deals per year. In turn, he began training and teaching apprentice partners and students. He founded Strategic Real Estate Coach in 2007, and since then has been involved in 700+ wholesale, rehab, rental, foreclosure, pre-foreclosure and short sale transactions, and taught thousands of investors how to replicate his success. Josh has vast knowledge and experience in helping to coach clients, mentor students and apprentice partners from across the US in finding, structuring, negotiating and closing various types of transactions for a profit. He has bought and sold over 700 properties in 25 states, and currently holds a robust portfolio of over 2,200 cash-flowing apartments. He is the founder and CEO of a variety of successful businesses including Freeland Ventures, Strategic Real Estate Coach, and several others. Josh lives in Northeast, Ohio with his wife Lisa Marie and three children.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: