The modern business world is on a fast track to total virtualization. With an increase in remote working and cloud-based computing, we are exposed to an unprecedented number of cybersecurity threats. As data disaster and Gillware Data Recovery CEO Brian Gill explains, the only solution is for us to become, counter-intuitively, more inefficient. With over 20 years’ experience in the industry, Brian’s latest ventures in the IT space involve digital forensics and eliminating the ever-evolving threat of cybercrime.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
As today’s guest, Brian walks us through the early years of his career and talks about how he entered the world of cybersecurity. In this episode, you’ll discover the ins and outs of cybercrimes and why your dog’s name is a terrible idea for your password. Brian exposes the variety of cyber threats faced by the real estate industry, how online criminals operate, and why you’re more vulnerable to attack than you think. We cover ransomware, phishing, and wire fraud as well as how you can avoid these common techniques. Just like your own health, the health of your data is also important. Brian shares what mindset you need to adopt to keep your data health safe, including top tips on becoming inefficient and unhackable, like using physical keys and verbal verification. Join us to find out more about what you can do to create the perfect security measures.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guest Brian Gill, and his expertise in data disaster.
- We look into Brian’s professional history in data recovery.
- Why Brian has taken an interest in ransomware and how it works.
- Brian talks about how his forensics company operates.
- The importance for syndicators to be able to show how they will protect investor’s data.
- The type of companies and personnel that cybercriminals target.
- Brian walks us through common cybersecurity mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Why it’s a good idea to have a physical key for log-in applications.
- Using tools like YubiKey to remove the threat of getting hacked.
- Brian talks about the major threat real estate professionals face.
- Brian tells us why it is so important to audit our data backups.
- Hear about what phishing is and why firewalls are a necessity.
- Steps you can take to avoid wiring fraud.
- Why you ought to consider verbal verification as a security measure.
[bctt tweet=”Ransomware is when a criminal hacks into a business network, encrypts all the data, steals it, and then forces you to pay them to get access to your data. Sometimes if you don’t pay them, they leak it online. — Brain Gill” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Brian Gill
Brian is a computer scientist, entrepreneur, and angel investor. Brian currently serves as Chairman of Gillware, which provides cyber risk assessments, data recovery, incident response, and digital forensics services. He is a co-founder of Phoenix Nuclear Labs and served on PNL’s board from inception to when it decided to spin-off SHINE Medical Technologies. Those two companies have raised over 100 million dollars of venture capital and employ hundreds of people in Wisconsin.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: