The world of real estate is multi-faceted, and deciding where to invest can be a complicated process. Jyoti Yadav, an engineer turned research analyst, has a wealth of knowledge in this field, and we are very grateful that she has chosen to share some of it with us on the show today. Jyoti explains in detail the issues that are currently being experienced in the retail and hotel spaces and why the industrial space is booming.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
This is largely (though not entirely) due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has dramatically altered our lifestyles and, in turn, the entire real estate sector. It has catalyzed changes at a dramatically fast rate in comparison to previous financial crises, and there are still a lot of unknowns, so a deep understanding of the data is very useful in terms of choosing where to put your money. If you are looking to gain an understanding of what is going on in the world of real estate or you need some advice on where to invest, this episode is essential listening!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Jyoti talks us through what Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS) are and how it works.
- The importance of CMBS in the commercial real estate (CRE) space.
- The difference between the COVID-19 financial crisis and previous financial crises.
- Some of the ways in which COVID-19 has changed our lives.
- How COVID-19 has created distrust in certain property types.
- An explanation of delinquency rate and special closing rate.
- Jyoti offers advice on where to find data relating to CMBS.
- Currently, the hotel and retail spaces are particularly struggling, while the industrial space is thriving.
- Jyoti offers her in-depth opinion on where and where not to invest, and why.
- How Jyoti’s engineering degree has helped her excel in her career.
- The way working from home is impacting the real estate sector.
[bctt tweet=”The issue that retail is having is not because of just this crisis, it was a property type which we’ve seen in distress for a long time. — Jyoti Yadav” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Jyoti Yadav
Jyoti Yadav, Research Analyst at Trepp, is a leading contributor to the firm’s CMBS and CRE research and analytics. She provides key insights to industry media and other external audiences, including as a guest on multiple podcasts. She also leads Trepp’s research in the corporate CLO space, is involved in consulting engagements with clients as a key member of the Trepp Advisory team, and is working towards incorporating ESG metrics in Trepp’s product line. Jyoti has a Master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University and a Bachelor’s from ICT Mumbai.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: