Listen to the podcast here:
In this episode, Whitney interviews Chris Tanner, Business Development Manager at New Direction Trust Company. New Direction Trust Company has assisted thousands of people in setting up their Self Directed Retirement accounts, and have extensive experience in facilitating real estate syndication.
Chris shares the workflow for using Self Directed IRA funds in real estate syndication. We kickstart this show by highlighting the differences between Roth IRA and Solo 401 (k). You will also learn the pros and cons of hiring a custodian for your 401(k). What is the biggest mistake that syndicators make while deploying IRA funds in syndication? And will investors end up paying taxes when they use their IRA funds in syndication?
This show will simplify and clarify many common queries that syndicators and investors have. Tune in now!
Our Gracious Sponsors:
Make sure to be at Joe Fairless’s Best Ever Conference, February 22-23, 2019. Use code: #WHITNEY for 10% OFF!!!
Phoenix Syndication Workshop 2019 is a premier 2-day educational and networking event hosted by noted real estate investors Ben Leybovich and Sam Grooms January 26 – 27, 2019.
Multifamily Investor Nation Investor Summit January 17-19, 2019 – 3 full days of content from over 50 expert speakers! Use code: WHITNEY for $100 OFF the FULL ACCESS PASS tickets!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:29 – Whitney introduces Chris to listeners
- 01:03 – Chris shares his immense experience in the field of Self Directed IRA’s
- 02:19 – What is the difference between Roth IRA’s and Solo 401(k)?
- 03:09 – Should inexperienced investors hire a custodian for their 401(K)?
- 04:53 – How to vet and hire a knowledgeable custodian to manage your 401(k)
- 06:15 – Can your custodian help a syndicator move funds quickly and within deadline?
- 08:06 – What is the downside of hiring a 401(k) custodian?
- 08:46 – What are the different ways in which a custodian can help you? Do the pros outweigh the clients?
- 09:28 – Chris shares his ideal client profile
- 10:40 – Is it easier to set up a Roth IRA compared to a Solo 401(k)?
- 11:17 – What is the advantage of having an employer account?
- 13:02 – How to effectively communicate with investors who are planning on investing their IRA funds in real estate syndication
- 16:35 – Prohibiting rules for using IRA funds that syndicators should be aware of
- 19:45 – What is the biggest mistake that syndicators make while raising funds from IRA’s?
- 21:25 – Will syndicators be able to finance their second deal with IRA’s much faster?
- 22:13 – Will you end up paying tax if you are using your IRA funds in syndication?
- 24:00 – Chris shares his contact information
- [spp-timestamp time=”25:19″] – Share, Review and Subscribe The Real Estate Syndication Show
- [spp-timestamp time=”25:36″] – A Special Thanks to our sponsor, LifeBridge Capital
In this episode, you will learn
- Little known differences between Roth IRA’s and 401(K)’s that you should be aware of
- How to vet and hire a knowledgeable custodian to manage your 401(k)
- Prohibiting rules for using IRA funds in real estate syndication
- Tax Implications of using IRA funds in real estate syndication