This is the episode for passive investors who want to make smarter investments in syndicated commercial real estate, specifically multifamily, and today’s guest is James Kandasamy, who has the insider secrets! Since establishing Achieve Investment Group, LLC in 2015, James has syndicated nine large apartment complexes, totaling 1,700 units, and has grown his portfolio to more than $130 million. His pragmatic skills in solid communication, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational leadership skills as well as his deep-rooted background in real estate investment are what makes him unique.
Our gracious sponsor:
Lionshare Bookkeeping believes the key to generating wealth is understanding where it comes from, and where it needs to go. They provide bookkeeping and financial coaching exclusively to Real Estate Investors – focusing on cash flow, strategy, and action. Go to http://bit.ly/LionshareBookkeeping to connect with them now.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
With over six years of experience in real estate and more than four years in multifamily acquisitions and asset management, James harnesses his experience to drive to offer clients firsthand vertically integrated services and multi-family investment funding off-market deals, asset, construction, and property management. He is also the author of the bestselling book, Passive Investing in Commercial Real Estate. Tune in to hear James shares the numerous things that the passive investor needs to know, including considering cashflow versus back-end profits and calculating IRR. James has focused on this throughout his career and he is very knowledgeable about helping passive investors make smarter investments, even if you’re just starting out! Tune in today to find out more.
Key Points From This Episode:
- James introduces himself, his book, his podcast, and his business.
- What has been the key for James when it comes to his focus on off-market deals.
- Some insider secrets that James has learned that will benefit the newbie passive investor.
- Analyzing deals, considering cashflow versus back-end profits, and risk-adjusted return.
- Why calculating IRR is a good method to use in your syndication business and how it works.
- The importance of understanding your investment returns and agreement structure in a deal.
- How James prepares for a downturn – by conserving his reserves and buying at a discount.
- James’ predictions for the next 6-12 months are that those who have been holding onto property will sell it at a discount.
- How James gained his high level of self-discipline by adhering to strict criteria.
- The daily habit that has helped James achieve success is early morning meditation.
- How tools like Slack and social media have helped James improves his business.
- Sponsoring education in third-world countries is how James likes to give back.
[bctt tweet=”Deals are different and your preference is different. People don’t talk about risk. People just look at the numbers. — @achieveinvest” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About James Kandasamy
Since establishing Achieve Investment Group, LLC in 2015 James has syndicated 9 large apartment complexes, totaling 1,700 units, and has grown his portfolio to $130 million. His pragmatic skills in solid communication, interpersonal, analytical and organizational leadership skills, as well as his deep rooted background in real estate investment, are what makes him unique. In addition he holds the prestigious CCIM designation as well. With over 6 years of experience in real estate and more than 4 years in multifamily acquisitions and asset management, James harnesses his experience and drive to offer clients firsthand, vertically integrated services in multifamily investment, finding off-market deals, asset, construction, and property management. Achieve Investment Group prides themselves in their ability to find value and deals by using off-market strategies. This skill, coupled with strong underwriting skills, enables them to be a sharpshooter in finding under-performing assets and turning them around into profitable investments.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: