Businesses who are better than their competitors at providing an excellent service to an audience that really needs it have mastered the art of positioning. Today’s guest is John Paul Mendocha, aka Dr. SpeedSelling, and while he is not directly involved in real estate, the expertise he shares today as a positioning expert could be the thing that saves your business. Rather than go to university, John Paul decided to cut his teeth as a gambler in Las Vegas, and he tells listeners about the salesmanship skills he learned there and later in his career. He now revives failing business and its all thanks to his knowledge about positioning.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
John Paul compiled these skills in his book Most Businesses Fail in the First Five Minutes, and in today’s show, he walks us through the most important parts. You’ll hear him speak about all the vital steps to take to master positioning, from finding your core values and skills, to refining an audience and making authentic career pivots. John Paul also shares a wealth of entertaining stories that drive home his points even harder today. Join in for the ride and learn all about how the art of positioning could help you in a time like this in this great interview!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Background into John’s main service: turning failing businesses around.
- Having to fire staff in due to coronavirus and the value of keeping a core team.
- The core problem behind a failing business: bad positioning.
- Examples of people who positioned themselves but regretted it.
- The first step to positioning your business: getting to your core values.
- Why brand consultants often fail through focusing on ‘trim’ rather than values.
- Mind share, bias maps, and how positioning appeals to specific types.
- Having a sharp versus blunt edge: being divisive versus appealing to anybody and nobody.
- How John Paul helped a business get rid of an unhelpful aspect of itself.
- John’s Paul’s strategy for finding his supporters in big audiences.
- Step two of good positioning: knowing your competition and what differentiates you.
- The need for positioning to start with the self and how John Paul found his positioning.
- How the frame of authenticity can help you find your unique skill to position yourself.
- Wanting to be somebody else and other reasons people can’t position themselves.
- The possibility of making pivots well by staying authentic.
- Tips for pivoting authentically: testing the waters and doing the work it takes.
- John’s gift for reading people and how it helps him not get seduced by money.
- Tips for reading people by looking at their clothes and observing their reactions.
[bctt tweet=”You can always tell who my clients are as you walk up to the ship that’s docked and it’s on fire and the rats are running down the ropes and leaving everything and that’s my client. — @jpmendocha” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About John Paul Mendocha
Serial Entrepreneur with 46 years experience and consultant for 37 years, John is a Deal Maker, Turnaround Specialist, Sales Improviser, Hired Gun, and Professional Speaker with 797 weekly training episodes (and counting). Also known as Dr. SpeedSelling™, John Paul can ferret out hidden reasons for declining sales profits within minutes. Instead of going to college, he went to Las Vegas and became a professional gambler in the School of Hard Knocks, which, of course, didn’t prepare him for anything in the corporate world. However, what it did do is prepare him for anything.
John went on to work in High Tech which allowed him to do something that no one in his family lineage had done – become a millionaire. He got a job at Mercury Computer Systems, right now worth between eight hundred million and one billion US dollars. When he started selling their products, he told everyone they were doing four million, which was a stretch. In 1989, John Paul put Mercury on the INC 500 in position number eighteen!
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: