As we have heard from countless operators, the first deal is by far the hardest, and for our guest today, Brian Briscoe, it was no different. While his first deal was great fun, it was also a steep learning curve where he learned both about the syndication business and himself. One of the most important components of getting Brian to that first deal was having a coach.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
After hearing more about Brian’s journey from single-family to multifamily investing, he sheds light on how his coach accelerated his learning along with helping him avoid common newbie mistakes. We discover how he found his coach through Michael Blank’s Deal Maker Live, along with some tips to ensure you are compatible with a potential mentor. From there, we dive into Four Oak’s first deal and how Brian had to learn to trust his team. He went into the deal with a self-centered mindset but came out the other end understanding just how much of team sport syndication truly is. We find out about how Four Oak structures their partnership and respective responsibilities. The show wraps up with hearing more about how Brian maximizes his time and tips on how you can do the same. Be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Hear more about Brian’s background and his real estate and syndication journey.
- Some of the tools like events and coaching that Brian used to learn about multifamily.
- How Brian selected his coach and the criteria that were important to him.
- Learn more about Brian’s goal retirement date and how this motivates his work.
- The key components that contributed to Brian getting his first deal over the finish line.
- Details of Four Oaks’ first deal and the role that Brian played in securing it.
- How Four Oaks’ partnership is structured, its evolution over time, and their communication.
- Four Oaks’ internal system and how they ensure investors are comfortable with the whole team.
- Brian’s tips on scheduling when you are particularly tight on time.
- A recent business improvement, the biggest contributor to Brian’s success, and the best way Brian meets investors.
[bctt tweet=”I’ve interviewed half a dozen people. Just learning from them and seeing how they do things differently has been absolutely eye-opening. — Brian Briscoe” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Brian Briscoe
Brian Briscoe is a principal at Four Oaks Capital and co-host of the Diary of an Apartment Investor podcast. He is also a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Marine Corps and brings years of leadership and management experience to his real estate investments. As a Marine officer, he has proven his ability to plan, lead, and effectively accomplish missions in both training and combat situations. He has earned graduate degrees from both the University of Utah and Naval Postgraduate School and is currently stationed at the Pentagon. He has actively invested in real estate since 2007. Brian is an Advisor in Michael Blank’s Deal Maker Mastermind
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: