The oil and gas industry is notoriously volatile, and while it can be very lucrative, it can also mean large periods of unemployment. As a veteran of the sector, today’s guest, Collin Placke, grew increasingly disillusioned with the highs and lows and wanted a more stable way to look after his family. In this episode, Collin shares more about how he found this stability in real estate, first through single-family and ultimately as a passive investor in syndication.
Our Gracious Sponsor:
Never let money be a barrier to closing deals. Learn the secrets to attracting passive investors at the Virtual Raising Money Summit. https://whitney.raisingmoneysummit.com/
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
He sheds light on landing his first deal and how being in a mastermind has helped him grow as an investor. Collin highlights that it is not enough to be part of a network; you have to like these people because they are the ones you will be working with. As someone who firmly believes in the power of mentorship, Collin is not afraid to share the mistakes he has made so others can learn from them. He talks about the difficulties he faced in growing his brand and the breakthroughs he eventually had. Along with this, we hear why he is so passionate about helping those in the oil and gas industry get into real estate investing, his tips for LinkedIn networking, and the role that a can-do mindset plays in your success. To hear more, be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Collin’s background in the oil and gas industry and why he transitioned to real estate.
- Why Collin began his real estate journey in single-family and the lessons he learned.
- The niche that Collin is currently involved in and the value he brings with capital raising.
- Getting over the hump — The story of how Collin got into his first deal.
- Collin’s experience networking and the benefits of joining a mastermind.
- Hear Collin’s experience of building his brand and the difficulties he faced.
- LinkedIn is an underrated networking tool and Collin’s advice for sticking with it.
- The biggest breakthrough Collin had when he was trying to get his message out there.
- Be yourself and be consistent and people will naturally gravitate towards you.
- Collin’s motivation for starting Rigs to Real Estate.
- The hardest part of syndication, a recent business improvement, and the biggest contributor to Collin’s success.
- Hear about how Collin likes to give back to people in the oil and gas industry.
[bctt tweet=”f you’re not familiar with the oil and gas industry as a whole, we tend to go through these boom or bust cycles. It’s never just smooth growth or anything like that. It’s either volatile growth, where you’re working 80 hours a week or you don’t have a job. — Collin Placke” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Collin Placke
After beginning his journey in real estate investing in 2018, Collin Placke has since invested in 998 units in Texas, Tennessee, and Alabama. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M University and has 10+ years industry experience in various operational and financial roles. Although still actively employed in the oil and gas industry, he was drawn to the stability and cash flow of real estate investments after a decade of cyclical ups and downs in the “boom or bust” oil business. He quickly developed a passion for educating others on the benefits of multifamily investing and started the Rigs to Real Estate community to help other oil and gas professionals utilize real estate to smooth out the volatility of the energy industry.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: