When you hear the term energy efficiency in a real estate context, do you know what to look for? Would you know where to start implementing changes to reduce your energy bill? When you hear the word “energy”, you need to think of the bills you will be paying in perpetuity. There are many strategic ways you can look at your utility bills, and in today’s episode, our guest will shed some light on where you can start.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Today on the show we welcome guest Dave Holman. Dave never aspired to be a landlord, but he now co-owns 15 buildings from single-family homes to multimillion-dollar syndications in the great state of Maine. Dave focuses on adding value by improving energy efficiency and tenant relations through his own company, Katahdin Property Management. Dave also has a track record of working with refugees and new immigrants who come with nothing and achieve the American dream through housing. Stay tuned as we talk more about energy-efficient return on investments, strategic ways to look at utility bills, examples on how to reduce your energy consumption, and much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Dave shares about himself and his background.
- We dive into energy efficiency and some examples of what we should be thinking about.
- Why it is important to study the different technologies available to you and when to implement them.
- Insulating as a key to reducing your energy bill.
- Why you need to consider the type of fuel you’re using and if it is efficient.
- ROI for a transition to heat-pumps.
- The benefits of adding an energy audit to your due diligence process.
- How to find a qualified energy auditor.
- The inspiration and reason behind Dave’s renting to immigrants.
- The hardest things about syndication: Preconceived notions and lack of capital.
- How being involved in sports and staying active has contributed to Dave’s self-discipline.
- Unplugging and spending time with his and how this helps to focus Dave.
- Hiring, delegating and finding people to fill in for your weaknesses — keys to business success.
[bctt tweet=”I think it’s really important that — it doesn’t matter if you make a million dollars. It doesn’t matter if you make one dollar. What matters is that you make your investors whole, you treat their money as more important than your own. — Dave Holman” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Dave Holman Phone Number — 2017-517-5700.
About Dave Holman
Dave Holman grew up in Maine and attended Carleton College in Minnesota where he studied Environmental Technology. He spent the next 4 years in Bolivia co-founding a chain of camping stores called The Spitting Llama before earning his MBA at the University of Maine. He then directed bilingual communications and marketing for Safe Passage which runs schools for children living in the Guatemala City garbage dump. From 2014 to 2019 he was a fundraiser for Bowdoin College while he built up a real estate portfolio that surpassed 50 units. In 2019, Dave made the switch to real estate full time and joined REMAX as a commercial broker. He co-founded Katahdin Property Management in 2019 and co-owns 94 residential and commercial units in Midcoast Maine. He has completed three syndications and has $12M in assets under management. Dave loves running, Nordic skiing and has written three books: Youth Renewing the Countryside, Coffee Smuggler, and Cyber Fire.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: