If you are wanting to start your own real estate business, or are looking for a way into the industry, join us on today’s show to get some excellent advice from our guest, Atif Qadir. Atif has a wide range of skills and experience in the real estate world and it will be well worth your time to give this episode a listen. We discuss Atif’s career trajectory and how his deep curiosity has fueled the many endeavors he has undertaken.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Atif stresses the importance of making yourself stand out (he knows this from firsthand experience, as you will hear), honing in on what you are good at, and putting other people before yourself. We also discuss how valuable it would be for the public and private sectors to work together more. If your goal is to start your own company, Atif urges you not to put too many conditions on it, and rather take the plunge before you run out of time and energy. Before you do it, just ask yourself these two questions: What do I want to do and what are the fundamental things I need to get started? And then, go get started!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Architecture forms the foundation from which Atif was able to embark on his entrepreneurial journey.
- Curiosity is the driving force behind Atif’s endeavors.
- Useful advice for those wanting to break into the real estate industry or start their own thing.
- Set yourself apart and hone in on what you are really good at.
- Why you shouldn’t be trying to plan too far ahead.
- Atif shares why he chose the product manager that he did, even though the man didn’t have experience in that field.
- Examples of how-to, and how not to reach out to people in the real estate industry.
- A personal story of how Atif differentiated himself and how well it worked out for him.
- Don’t wait for the perfect time to leave your corporate job because suddenly it will be too late.
- The questions that you need to ask yourself before you start your own company.
- Set goals and make sure you are always working towards them.
- The value in putting others before yourself.
- Why Atif thinks the public and private sector should work together more.
[bctt tweet=”In all of these different things that I do, it’s generally a curiosity about, how do we improve a certain part of what we do in the real estate industry and perhaps more importantly, how do we make money from it? — Atif Qadir” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Atif Qadar
Atif Qadir founded REDIST, a proptech startup based at Columbia Startup Lab, in 2020 and Amanat Properties, a development company focusing on the renovation of historic real estate in New Jersey, in 2017. Previously, he worked at Extell Development on the acquisitions and development teams for deals across the United States and Canada. Prior to that, he worked at Turner Construction and at Gwathmey Siegel Kaufman & Associates Architects. He is a licensed architect and a member of the American Institute of Architects. He also is the host of “American Building,” a new podcast hosted by Michael Graves Architecture & Design that will be launching this fall. Atif has previously spoken about topics related to real estate and entrepreneurship at Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, MIT and Yale. Atif serves as a city planning commissioner in Hoboken, where he also lives. He is on the boards of The Hudson School, Haven Adolescent Community Respite Center and En Garde Arts. Atif received his bachelor’s degrees in architecture and in urban planning from MIT and his MBA from Columbia Business School.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: