Failures are a part of the journey, and being afraid to make them can be detrimental to your success. In fact, today’s guest believes that embracing the possibility of failure has been fundamental for his success! Brad Shepard earned his undergraduate degree in finance with an eye towards commercial real estate.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Interning with one of the premier commercial property portfolio companies in the northwest, he purchased his first rental property within months of graduating college and quickly added several more before turning to commercial opportunities. His experience includes management of hotel and vacation properties, retail and café operations, as well as the development of retail and hospitality spaces, and raising capital from both domestic and international investors. Tune in today to hear from Brad about the effect on the different markets throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, his journey to raising capital, and the benefits of getting a broker-dealer license, as well as his tips for increasing your ability to raise capital, and much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- More on Brad’s background and where he finds himself in commercial real estate today.
- Brad sheds some light on single-family, multifamily, and commercial during the pandemic.
- Brad’s experience of raising capital; from passive investors to successful operators.
- How he jump-started the investor side of the business by building up his team and making sure to work above board.
- What was being investigated by the SCC: compensation and how capital raisers are putting themselves out there to potential investors.
- Why it would be beneficial to get the broker-dealer license: representing a security.
- Tips to help you raise capital: develop relationships with those more successful than yourself.
- How to be prepared for a potential downturn by making sure underwriting is authentically conservative.
- Brad’s predictions for the next six to 12 months: actively buying, as 2021 will be a strong year.
- Daily habits that have helped him achieve success, like absorbing new information daily.
- His best source for meeting new investors is through strengthening his online presence.
- How embracing the chance to fail has contributed to his success.
- How he likes to give back: helping and touching base with people who want to learn more.
[bctt tweet=”There are so many different ways to be successful in real estate, even in the commercial multifamily space. You don’t have to be the operator. For those who have a different style, different angle, different interest, there are other ways that they can be involved as well and still be very successful. — Brad Shepherd” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Brad Shepard
Brad Shepard has been involved in real estate investing since his college days, 20 years ago. He earned his undergraduate degree in Finance, with an eye towards commercial real estate, interning with one of the premier commercial property portfolio companies in the Northwest. He purchased his first rental property within months of graduating college, and quickly added several more, before turning to commercial opportunities. His experience includes management of hotel and vacation properties, retail and café operations, as well as the development of retail and hospitality spaces, and raising capital from both domestic and international investors. Brad and his young family have called Austin home since 2011.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: