One of the reasons why we like real estate is because it doesn’t change all that much. It’s somewhat predictable. If you have invested in real estate you would see that throughout the history of America, real estate was probably the single best wealth generation tool that consistently delivered better returns in the broader markets.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
However, advances in technology have created new market spaces. We have heard about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies and several other types of digital assets. Our guest, Sohail Hassan, focuses on blockchain technology. It is basically the new rails of the financial system which entails a network of smart contracts to connect issuance to those networks that essentially allow for 24/7 trading. It’s a series of information that is graphically secured and acts as a distributed ledger that is immutable. Listen now to learn more about it!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Having friends who are in the real estate industry opened up his mind to see that true wealth is generated through real estate and it gives you the freedom of the lifestyle that you want.
- Sohail and his friend were driven by the idea of how they can use technology to disrupt the real estate industry. They wanted to democratize the ownership of real estate however, they realized that technology, in terms of its application to real estate, is very nascent.
- They started focusing on real estate investing primarily on multifamily, instead.
- Their mission is to create communities that are affordable, sustainable and inclusive.
- Sohail believes that the most resilient of all asset classes has been the multifamily asset class.
- Maintaining integrity and transparency towards their investors have helped them scale fast from $25 million to $272 million.
- Sohail talks about a new financial system called the blockchain technology.
- This technology has the potential to address two biggest drawbacks typically associated with real estate investing.
- There’s a specialized practice of law that focuses on the blockchain proponent.
“True wealth in this country is generated through real estate.” [0:03:55.0]
“I also felt that investing in real estate really kinda gives you the freedom of the lifestyle that you want as well.” [0:4:08.0]
“We see in the Houston area, particularly in all throughout Texas, that what has really remained, they’re most resilient throughout all of this, even through the pandemic, has been the multi-family asset class.” [0:10:30.00]
“I’m really excited about this topic because it’s really in the center of two things that I happen to be very passionate about, and that’s real estate and blockchain and like other technology enthusiasts out there, I’ve been following just like you probably say, I’m following blockchain since the very beginning and really understanding its ability to make such a significant impact to almost every aspect of our lives.” [0:16:03.4]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Sohail Hassan
Sohail is Co-Founder & Managing Partner at MarketSpace Capital responsible for setting the firm’s strategic direction and overseeing the day-to-day management including taking a lead role in the development activities of the company.
Before joining MarketSpace Capital, Sohail acquired and successfully exited several business ventures related to engineering and technology including Bovay Engineers, a Civil & MEP Engineering Design Firm originally founded in 1946. Additionally, Sohail served as Director of U.S. Operations for the Apex Group of Companies, a global consortium of companies with a focus on providing services to both the private and public sector in business consulting, insurance & financial services, manufacturing, vendor management, medical equipment supply & logistics.
Throughout his career, Sohail has a proven track record in disrupting various industries using data and technology and is now applying these same principles to the commercial real estate sector.
Sohail has a B.A. Degree from Texas A&M University, a master’s degree from the George Washington University in Washington D.C., a Certificate in Advanced International Affairs from the Bush School of Political Management, and a Certificate in European Union Politics. Most recently, Sohail earned a Certificate in Real Estate Management from Cornell University and also sits on the board of various non-profit organizations, currently serving as the President of the South Asian Chamber of Commerce (SACC) in Houston, Texas.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: