Have you ever wondered if it’s viable and sensible for a US citizen living overseas to invest in US real estate? Yes, you can absolutely invest long distance in US real estate and it’s not as risky as you think, says our guest today, Billy Keels, founder of First Generation Capital Partners.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Billy, based in Barcelona, Spain after sojourns in France and Italy, has been investing long distance in US real estate for almost a decade now. He started actively investing in rental properties and then went on to passively invests in multifamily and other asset classes. In this episode, he talks about his overseas investments and reveals the critical elements when operating and investing long distances. Click now and learn more.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Billy’s professional background in the IT industry took him to various parts of the world and now settled in Spain.
- Why Billy ventured into real estate investing while keeping a high-paying corporate job.
- Billy’s investments in the US real estate market from Europe for the past nine years starting with active investing and then passive investing.
- What pushed Billy to leave his high-paying corporate profession for a full-time real estate investing career?
- Billy details his initial long-distance real estate investment and the challenges of operating the property.
- Billy’s realization of the most critical element when operating and investing long distance
- What would Billy do differently with the first investments if given the chance?
- What is ROS and why for Billy it’s an important metric to measure?
- Why venturing into investing is similar to solving a problem?
- Billy shares the positive life changes he experienced when he transitioned to full-time investing.
- Why Billy chose to invest in other asset classes: ATM machines and carbon-capture machines.
- Where Billy finds new investors and the metrics he tracks
- The daily habits that contribute to Billy’s success and his way of giving back
“When you are 300 miles away or 3,000 miles away, you need a really, really strong team.”
“That is one of the big keys to being successful investing long-distance – making sure that you take the proper steps and show your team that you’re interested in building them and actually follow through with making purchases.”
“The ROS is the ‘return on sleep’. If we would have had more adequate reserves, my ROS would have been positive, and I would have slept better at night.”
“Being much more intentional about what I’m doing, with whom I’m doing, and also being very present when I am doing those things.”
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Billy Keels
Billy is a regular guy from a middle-class family from Colombus, Ohio, who grew up knowing nothing about investing. He gave himself to the challenge of learning everything he could about all things money and investing. Today, he guides others on their own path to financial freedom through strategic direct investment opportunities via his company, First Generation Capital Partners.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: