On today’s episode, we are joined by Kris Benson to talk what managing and running the equity arm of Reliant entails. Having worked in sales for many years, Kris’s foray into real estate investing and subsequently turning it into a new career, happened organically. As a result of having been on both sides of the table, Kris understands what the investors and syndicators are looking for.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Self- storage has always been a reliable asset class, even in downturns because people always need to store their possessions, no matter their life circumstances. This makes them well-poised to handle any potential market correction. Kris also talks about the benefits of both a family office and individual investors and how Reliant leverages the strengths of both of these types of investors. For Kris, real estate investing is all about building and maintaining strong relationships. Investments have a long-time span, which means you have to be comfortable with those you choose to partner with. It is always worth it going the extra mile and putting in the effort to establish a solid relationship from the get-go. Without this firm basis, investing will prove to be a difficult process. He also shares some other insights such as how he has made connections, advice on using LinkedIn and much more. For all this, join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- What led Kris into investing in real estate and self-storage in particular.
- Real estate syndication is above all else, a relationship business.
- How people knew what Kris was investing in syndication.
- Three things to tell other potential syndicate investors.
- What Kris’s day to day life at Reliant is like.
- Why Reliant has started to try to work with university endowments.
- The differences between having individual investors and family offices.
- How to go about getting connected with family offices.
- How Reliant diversifies their investor groups.
- Some of the best ways to connect with high net worth investors.
- Face to face meetings are trust-building activities.
- Deals, no matter the size, require the same amount of work.
- What Reliant is doing to prepare itself for another downturn.
- Good return and transparency are the best ways to care for investors.
- Learning by doing is by the far the best way to educate yourself.
[bctt tweet=”Big deals, small deals, they are the same amount of work. You just make lots of money on all deals. — Kris Benson” username=”Whitney_Sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Kris Benson
Kris Benson is the Chief Investment Officer for Reliant Investments, a subsidiary of Reliant Real Estate Management and one of the top 30 commercial self-storage operators in the U.S. in 2018. Kris is part of the investment committee and develops institutional quality self-storage investment opportunities for accredited investors. Kris’s investing goals have always been about changing the paradigm of trading time for money in order to have time for more of the things we love to do. Likewise, investing in real estate has been Kris’s steadfast path to passive income and he is passionate about inspiring others to change their mindset around investing for their future. Kris graduated from the State University of Binghamton and currently lives just outside Saratoga Springs, NY with his wife Jenn and two sons, Noah and Luke. He is an outdoor enthusiast with a passion for the ski mountain, the lake, and his mountain bike.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: