Today on the podcast we are joined by the wonderful Spencer Hilligoss! Spencer and his wife Jennifer are the co-founders of Madison Investing and apart from a very successful career in tech startups, Spencer has managed to build a sizable portfolio and reputation in the real estate world.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
We chat about how he ended up investing and how he found his way to passive syndication. Spencer unpacks some of his family history and how he took some of the lessons he learned in his other work and applied it to his investment philosophy. We chat about his freedom number, research and getting familiar with a particular area. Spencer makes the point of highlighting the need for experience when entering into association with others, he usually requires that new partners have had some difficulty and worked through some challenges before coming on board! For this great chat, be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Spencer’s beginnings in the real estate game.
- The lessons Spencer learned through his family and work in the tech industry.
- Reasons that Spencer chose to go the route of multifamily investments.
- Spencer and his wife, Jennifer’s financial freedom number.
- Finding the right deals; the searching and researching that goes into this.
- The importance that Spencer puts on working with people who have experienced adversity.
- A particular satisfactory and attractive deal that Spencer scouted and completed recently.
- Looking to the future of his real estate business and taking stock of the present.
- The most challenging part of Spencer’s syndication journey.
- Ways in which Spencer has improved his work-life balance recently.
- The pro-bono mentoring and coaching that Spencer has been offering.
[bctt tweet=”Playing financial defense and offense is something that’s a choice. I learned that the hard way from a series of events throughout my family upbringing. — @SpenceHilligoss” username=”Whitney_Sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Spencer Hilligoss
Spencer Hilligoss is an active syndicator, real estate investor and executive leader for two real estate businesses. His own company, Madison Investing, has co-sponsored deals totaling more than 3000 units more than $328M. Spencer is also a technology leader with a 13 year track record of building high-performing teams across five companies — three of them, software “unicorns” — valued at more than $1B. He built and led the origination teams for LendingHome and currently leads their Professional Development group. LendingHome is the largest residential flip lender in the country, responsible for more than $4B in transactions and is actively funding more than 500 deals per month.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: