Mike Ballard helps owners become property managers. His firm, Ascent Multifamily Accounting, provides back-office services, accounting, bill paying, reconciliation, financial statement preparation, human resources, and payroll for more than 40,000 units all across the country.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
He’s worked in the real estate and accounting industry for almost 30 years and, at Ascent, Mike leads the firm’s consulting practice, where he advises clients on using tax credits and deductions to improve returns on their projects. In this episode, we discuss the growth of his business, the typical clients that he works with, and the fees he charges, as well as the process of working with Ascent, from accounting to health insurance. Mike also shares some of the difficulties that his clients face, some of the surprises he has encountered in the past, and what exactly it means to provide human resource services to other operators. For more on the accounting outsourcing services that Ascent Multifamily provides and how they can help your business, don’t miss this episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Mike shares a bit about himself and how the firm got into the business.
- Mike attributes the exponential growth of his firm to communicating their desire to grow with their clients and putting content online.
- The typical clients that Mike works with, the size of their portfolios, and why they choose to work with Ascent Multifamily Accounting to save on management fees.
- Ascent’s fees, which get more economical per unit the more units the client has.
- The process of working with Ascent, from accounting to payroll and HR services.
- The difficulties that some owners have, including not treating the property as a business.
- Be tolerant with your accountant and let them do their job!
- Mike shares some of the surprises he has encountered from clients in the past.
- What it means to handle human resources for other operators, including doing job posts.
- Mike has improved his business through self-evaluation and making small changes.
- Good people are the number one thing that has contributed to Mike’s success.
- How Mike likes to give back, serving on the board of an NGO called Mentor International.
[bctt tweet=”We’ve worked with the big guys. We know how to do it right for them. We do institutional quality financial statements at a price that a small business owner can afford. — Mike Ballard” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Mike Ballard
Mike Ballard is a partner at Ascent Multifamily Accounting and has worked in the real estate and accounting industries for almost 30 years. Early in Mike’s career, he worked in the Information Systems Consulting group for Laventhol & Horwath, CPAs. After Laventhol, he joined McGladrey & Pullen before starting his own consulting firm. At Ascent, Mike leads the firm’s consulting practice, where he advises clients on using tax credits and deductions to improve returns on their projects. He has helped clients secure Section 45L Energy Tax Credits, New Markets Tax Credits, and other types of tax credits. In 2010, Mike was named one of the Top 20 Visionaries in Nevada by Nevada Business Magazine. He is known for his excellent contacts with business, government, and real estate executives throughout the West, and he has served on the boards of several for-profit companies and not-for-profit organizations. He has also helped start three banks and served on the board of Black Mountain Community Bank.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: