The world was turned upside down in 2020 with the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Along with it, there have been changes all across the globe and, more specifically, in the real estate markets. From lenders to operators, to buyers, everyone had to adjust and restrategize as a result. Today’s guest is Anton Mattli, the CEO of Peak Financing. He has decades of experience in commercial and investment banking, private equity, and commercial real estate. After graduating from Zurich Business School in banking and finance, he held senior management positions at major financial institutions in New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Zurich.
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
During that time, Anton was heading a bank branch, managing cross-border teams, financing and restructuring commercial real estate worth several billion US dollars, and overseeing loan portfolios consisting of aircraft and ocean transport vessels. He also directed the structuring of complex cross-border commodities and trade finance transactions for Fortune 500 companies. Tuning into today’s episode, you’ll hear Anton’s take on the current financing situation, how to stay up-to-date with what’s going on in key aspects of the markets, and how to go about your first deal from a financial aspect. Make sure you don’t miss out on this insightful interview!
Key Points From This Episode:
- More on Anton’s focus in the real estate industry: the middle-market and multi-family spaces.
- The current financing situation and Anton’s advice for staying up to date: read and stay in touch with advisors.
- How COVID-19 has impacted smaller loans to “newbie” buyers.
- The new route to go for new buyers: bring in and partner with someone who has experience.
- The most important question to ask: how would a lender underwrite this particular deal?
- Lender underwriting versus operator underwriting; the differences you should know about.
- Anton describes the best timeline for deals and approaching financing teams.
- He talks about current syndicator and financing pitfalls to keep your eye on.
- Applying for a residential real estate loan versus a commercial real estate loan.
- Anton elaborates on the term ‘treasury yields’ and what that affects.
- How to stay up-to-date and track the treasury yield and spreads.
- Why not to pick a broker or a lender based on an indicative term sheet.
- Anton talks about operators that have survived the pandemic and how to prepare for a potential downturn.
- How to calculate an emergency budget or reserve: at least three months without collections.
- Anton’s predictions for the real estate market over the next six to 12 months.
- Daily habits that have helped Anton achieve success: do not lose the focus.
- Why the number one thing that has contributed to his success is his persistence.
- How he likes to give back by helping the homeless.
[bctt tweet=”The treasury yield plus the spread ultimately translates to the interest rate. — @AntonMattli” username=”whitney_sewell”]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Anton Mattli
Peak Financing CEO, Anton W. Mattli has decades of experience in commercial and investment banking, private equity, and commercial real estate. After graduating from Zurich Business School in banking and finance, he held senior management positions at major financial institutions in New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Zurich. During that time, Anton was heading a bank branch, managed cross-border teams, financed and restructured commercial real estate worth several billion U.S. Dollars, and oversaw loan portfolios consisting of aircraft and ocean transport vessels. Anton also directed the structuring of complex cross-border commodity and trade finance transactions for Fortune 500 companies. Over the last 15 years, Anton has been advising family offices, high net worth individuals, as well as private investment funds, facilitating their direct investments in commercial real estate across Europe and the United States, including several hundred million dollars in multifamily developments and acquisitions.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: