Blackstone, the largest owner of commercial real estate in the world – who would want to go head to head with the colossus of the industry? But Ryan Webster, founder, and managing partner at Equity Yield Group has been taking on the big players in the past year, bidding against the likes of Blackstone and Greystar and acquiring $165 million in assets with 665 units all in a span of 12 months. How does Ryan do it?
Podcast Production Services
Are you about to start a podcast? Or are you producing a podcast and tired of doing the editing yourself? We have produced over 1000 daily shows and the production team that we’ve created are now available to produce for you as well. We can do as little or as much as you need, from finding and communicating with guests, preparing introductions, to editing the audio and video. You’ll sound better, have a more professional presence, and you’ll have more time doing other valuable tasks on your business. Let me know if you’re interested by emailing [email protected].
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
In this episode, Ryan talks about the most important aspects of running the syndication business that allows him to stand shoulder to shoulder with industry stalwarts. Listen to him talk about ‘doing ordinary things extraordinarily well’ to set his company apart from the others.
To hear all of Ryan’s valuable insights, join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Ryan introduces himself, his company, and their focus on multifamily real estate.
- Ryan’s shift from construction development to stabilized multifamily assets.
- What it takes to acquire 665 units and $165 million worth of assets in the last 12 months.
- How Ryan’s company competes with the big industry players (Blackstone and Greystar).
- How Ryan’s company raises large amounts of capital in a short period of time.
- The value of mentorship, partnership, and playing to each other’s strength in syndicating large deals.
- The importance of having aligned vision, branding, investment strategy, and business framework when forming a partnership.
- Ryan describes how they structure deals and what metrics to consider to adapt to the current market conditions.
- Ryan’s outlook on the real estate industry for the next year and his preparations for a downturn.
- Strategies that Ryan’s company uses to stand out among the giant industry players like Blackstone.
- Sources of new investors.
- The number one thing that’s contributed to Ryan’s success and his way of giving back.
“That’s where the value of mentorship comes in – in being able to dodge some of these obstacles, being able to leverage a knowledge experience of someone who’s been there prior.”
“Real estate is a great investment. There’s huge value in being in hard assets, and being in illiquid assets right now, especially if those assets are generating cash flow.”
“Be easy to work with, you can’t be a pain in the butt to transact with. That is really the only advantage we have against these institutions.”
“Responsiveness is a big thing for me. If it shows up on your desk or your inbox, get it taken care of. These things can snowball real quick if you’re not responsive on them.”
“Determination and grit – the willingness to get up the next morning and get off the mat and do it again. That’s a key to success.”
“It doesn’t matter if you’re charging 4 or 5 grand a month for rent. If people can’t pay it, your bad debts gonna eat you alive. It’s really about what you’re actually collecting not what you’re charging.”
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Ryan Webster
Ryan is an NHBA award-winning home builder, experienced real estate professional, and entrepreneur. Ryan is the founder of Equity Yield LLC and has over a decade of experience owning and operating a Midwest-based construction, and development company, with a wide range of project experience managing new construction, and value add multifamily projects.
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: