As a real estate entrepreneur or an owner of any business, there’s a strong chance your brand is on social media. Because the more ways you can place your business in front of your target audience, the more you can build awareness and improve your business. But do you have a strong social media presence and a thriving online following?
Our Gracious Sponsors
Multifamily Investor Nation Convention
Join Shaquille O’Neal, Barbara Corcoran, and Jocko Willink at this year’s MFINCON in Charlotte, NC. on June 23-25th!
𝙂𝙀𝙏 𝙔𝙊𝙐𝙍 𝙏𝙄𝘾𝙆𝙀𝙏 𝙉𝙊𝙒!
USE PROMO CODE: LIFEBRIDGE for $200 off!
Vox Valens Media
Watch the episode here:
Listen to the podcast here:
Our guest today, data scientist, real estate investor, design engineer, and founder of Subtle Asset Management, Nelson Lin, talks about how he built his massive online following. He runs a social media group of several thousand investors while he continues nurturing and educating them about the real estate business. Listen now and learn about the phenomenal growth of his online following and find out how you can apply some tools and techniques to your own brand.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Nelson explains his recent LinkedIn post quoting a study that presented the downsides of humblebragging in social media.
- What are some alternatives to humblebragging in social media?
- Why being authentic attracts social media following.
- How niching down your target demographic help build and grow an online following
- When and how Nelson started his online community.
- The rules of moderating to maintain good discourse, keep the culture and the online group thriving, and be on top of people’s feed.
- How do you create a critical mass of online following in a short period?
- How Nelson’s online group birthed field trip meetups, conferences, and interactive events.
- Nelson’s plans and goals for the meetup groups
- Nelson talks about their syndication projects and their unique business model
- Why Nelson invests in Chicago despite its unfavorable investment location reputation.
- The main thing that contributed to Nelson’s success
- Nelson’s contact detail
“If you keep the interaction and activity up, the Zuckerberg algorithm will say, you guys go to the .top. That’s really all there is to it.”
“Reward the people who are the most active in the community because they are the ones who keep it alive.”
“We encourage people to talk about their stories, and that I think triggers the algorithm much better than someone trying to just talk about the rates that their company has to offer and saying message me directly.”
“A group exists on the goodwill of everyone involved but the mission is getting the people who have nothing to their first property.”
“Interaction is how you get to the top of the Zuckerberg algorithm.”
“One of the things that happen when you niche down and you’re authentic is you start attracting the type of demographic that you’re trying to attract.”
“Humblebragging doesn’t translate well on social media.”
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
About Nelson Lin
Nelson runs the numbers as the first data scientist in the residential division for Brookfield Asset Management. You can find him running his Asian interest group of 14k+ investors at Subtle Asian Real Estate, being featured on CBS News, or attending classes at the University of Chicago for his MBA. He currently owns 168 units across 4 states. An engineering graduate from Columbia University and Cal Poly SLO, he has also held technical roles at Apple and Microsoft.
Join the Real Estate Syndication Show Community: